Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Cannes Film Festival, 11-22 May 2011

J'adore le cinémaWholeheartedly and unwaveringly, I love all things film. Whether I'm watching movies, writing about them, or talking all the way through (yes, I'm one of those people!), I still feel like a young child on their very first cinema trip, thrilled by the unknown, seemingly magical and almost always escapist world, to unfold before me. And I'm sure that not many people love trailers as much as I do; if I could sit through back-to-back trailers for 2 1/2 hours, I most certainly would.

Cannes Film Festival 2011 logo

When Cannes - one of my favourite holiday destinations - hosts the most prestigious and most glamorous film festival in the world, it's not surprising that I am hooked. Some of this year's highlights foreground filmmakers such as Terence Malick (The Tree of Life), Pedro Almodóvar (The Skin I Live In), Lars Von Trier (Melancholia) and Woody Allen (Midnight in Paris). Oh, to be at the 64th Festival de Cannes! (Hopefully next year...). Awards night takes place on Sunday 22nd May, to include the highly coveted Palme d'Or.


Cannes Film Festival 2011 advert


Meanwhile, on the red carpet, supremely-styled stars sizzle in the sunlight. Luscious fabrics, jaw-dropping silhouettes and exquisite couture, reaffirm Cannes' reputation as the most stylish of South of France hotspots. There is rarely room for subtlety, or a 'safe-bet' here. The clothes evoke a Hollywood of old - the grand, dripped in diamonds version - showcasing one very handsome holiday wardrobe. Of course, one of the great characteristics of films selected for Cannes, is that Hollywood does not dominate; international and european screenings enjoy equal (sometimes greater) standing.

Cannes Film Festival continues until May 22nd, and you can watch some excellent coverage online, with French film channel, CINEMOI (you may have read my review of The Army of Crime, which is being screened at Cannes, 'Out of Competition'). On CINEMOI's Youtube page, you can learn all about this year's films, and enjoy interviews with the stars, by CINEMOI's creative director, Jonathan Ross. 

Before I leave you, here is CINEMOI's red carpet coverage from day 6 of Cannes Film Festival* (For the full version, or if you are reading this via email, please visit CINEMOI on Youtube).




*If you fancy your own glamorous getaway, you can win a holiday to Cannes with CINEMOI.


Images: Thank you to CINEMOI.

5 comments:

  1. I love film, too! I just went to see a fabulous French film starring Catherine Deneuve. To me, foreign films are the best - especially with subtitles. I can't get to Cannes but I do live in Toronto where we get arguably the second-most fabulous film festival in the world in September. Can't wait!
    P.S. I just love looking at Brad Pitt and Angeline Jolie. Gorgeous and they do so much good in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I would love to get to Cannes one day....so glamous. Thanks for visiting me the other day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. how wonderful would it be to see all this in person...
    just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @For Those About To Shop Hi Laura! Thank you for your lovely comments. Which Catherine Deneuve film did you see? You are lucky having the Toronto film festival, I would love to be there! I'll look forward to hearing about it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. @julieb Hi Julie! I couldn't agree more. Hopefully I'll be there next year and will report back! Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it's always lovely to hear from you. If you enjoyed this post, feel free to subscribe to the blog, or share with friends.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License