Wednesday, 29 September 2010

In Bed with Vogue and Manolo Blahnik



I hope you are having a wonderful week! 

Hot chocolate with cream and chocolate sauce
After a long weekend in my beloved Paris (shopping, sights and sublime suppers), I'm now, sadly, feeling less than brilliant. The in-between-seasons-syndrome (a.k.a nasty cold)? When your head feels full of cotton wool, your body is trying to assert itself through every ache and it takes an hour to have a shower (which you have contemplated for just as long). And, despite my mind's fuzzy-state, I am struggling to switch it off from a multitude of tasks and topics. London living? Having said that, I have learned that sometimes, where possible, it's best to give up, tuck yourself into a warm bed and drink chocolat-chaud. So that's where I am now...
John Lewis bobble slippers
Whenever I feel unwell, I find myself drifting nostalgically toward comforting moments and memories: thinking of family, watching old movies, heating up rice pudding. One of my fondest such memories is the image of my smiling Dad, walking through the door to present the latest copy of Vogue to my sick-self. Following a childhood spent sketching dresses and pretending to run a clothes shop from my bedroom, there was no better cure. 

Vogue magazine, Best of British issue
A cover from a few years back...


A tremendous treat, Vogue was a symbol of hope, a divine distraction and a treasure-trove containing some of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. I would switch off from the 'ordinary' world and become adopted by the world of fashion. And sometimes, when I didn't have the energy to read, I would simply flick through the pages, lose myself in the reams of advertising and look forward to feeling strong enough to sketch again. Luckily, now that I buy Vogue for myself, I can devour one of the issues stacked up to the ceiling in my spare room. But (and I hope to scare off germs for some time), I have found the perfect 'back-up plan' for future sick/duvet days, or more excitingly, a Christmas present! On 8th November 2010 - this is a preview - Thames & Hudson are re-releasing Fashion Drawing in Vogue. How perfect. William Packer (painter, writer and FT art-critic) has collected 301 beautiful drawings from over 70 years of Vogue, featuring artists to include: Salvador Dali, Edouard Benito, René Bouché, and Pierre Brissaud. The preface is also written by one of my favourite artists, David Hockney. A gorgeous gift for the girl in your life. Or a treat for yourself...


Fashion Drawing in Vogue, William Parker and David Hockney
(Re-release date: 8th November 2010. Paperback. Price: £19.95).

While I'm here, I couldn't resist mentioning another book that I found in the impressive 'Fashion and Textiles' section of Thames & Hudson's website: Manolo Blahnik Drawings (with a foreword by Anna Wintour and contributions from prominent fashion editors). Enjoy this sneak-peek at such amazing artistry and arguably the world's most exquisite shoes:
Manolo Blahnik drawings, foreword by Anna Wintour















(Available now. Paperback with flaps. Price: £24.95).

Images: 1) John Lewis, 2) Starbucks, 3) Vogue's Cover Archive, 4) - 6) Thames Hudson.

6 comments:

  1. Hello! Lovely to have found your blog!

    I know exactly how you feel. This is my top tip that my doctor gave me years ago and I haven't been ill since. Go to the chemist, supermarket (or some corner shops do them) and buy a pack of large soluble paracetamol. Dissolve two (1000mg) in a pint of water and drink. Do the same two or three hours later. Your fuzzy head will completely disappear. I swear by them and I went out nearly every night for 25 years! Only soluble ones work properly as the others take so long to break down in your stomach. These are instant. It's the only medicine I take. Give it a go and let me know how you get on. If you live near me I can send you some xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon, being ill is not fun! I'm going to bed early tonight, I'm exhausted from moving (house)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How absolutely gorgeous! Those drawings are exquisite.

    I do hope you feel better soon! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great rememdy. I love Vogue and hot chocolate. Hope you are feeling better. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm here to invite you as already we are following each other to partecipate to my October Giveaway, I'm giving away God Same McQueen Shirt or other designs depending which one you consider to best fit your style. ENTER HERE

    http://www.thedollsfactory.com/2010/10/fendi-giveaway-winner-and-invitation-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I grew up with rice pudding, it reminds me of home, completely.

    Love your fashion blog, it's a guilty indulgence for me, but one I'm not giving up any time soon! :)

    PS: Feel better soon, hope the fuzzy state dissolves!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it's always lovely to hear from you. If you enjoyed this post, feel free to subscribe to the blog, or share with friends.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License