Thursday, 26 August 2010

The International Fashion Photography Exhibition, Cannes 2010



A newcomer to Cannes, I soon realised that there is always something to see and do; whoever first said that a place was "happening", must have just returned from Cannes. The city "buzz" and a seaside resort; Cannes has it all. It's enthralling cinematic (and fashion) history has created a hub for artists, designers, photographers and those who will pay for their big-ticket items. Yet it's not merely a parade of bling-meets Fur Coat exhibitions, or the auction hammer, although there is that side. Sure, it revels in it's glorious past and glamorous persona; film-festival fashions are almost as eagerly awaited as Oscar outfits. But, as visitors, we bring with us an imagined familiarity to Cannes, similar to when we visit Provence. Its' magic for fashion and film enthusiasts like myself, lies somewhat in the mental evocation of iconic Cannes images: visualising the festival's red carpets and paparazzi, or Cary Grant and Grace Kelly at the Carlton hotel (To Catch A Thief). 
Jacques Olivar Fashion Photography Exhibition, Cannes

Cannes knows it's cool, but wants everyone to enjoy it. As a result, there are fascinating sights, events and experiences available to all. Some (very happy) people are striving to ensure Cannes’ equally exciting present and future. 
Commanding my attention as they dazzled in the heat on La Croissette, Le Port Canto and in Hotel Martinez, the stunning images in this post are my selection from The 8th International Fashion Photography exhibition, where ‘Guest of Honour’ was Jacques Olivar. Sorry for the sunlight on some of the photographs (although, perhaps wrongly, I find the reflections quite interesting..!)


Jacques Olivar Fashion Photography Exhibition, Cannes

Jacques Olivar Fashion Photography Exhibition, Cannes

Photographs by: 1) Straulino, 2) Cyril Lagel, 3), 6), 8) & 10) Jacques Olivar, 4) Ken Browar, 5) Benjamin Kanarek, 7) Pino Leone, 9) Michalet Firdmann.

11 comments:

  1. My fave pictures are the girl with the red nails and lippie, and the last picture...I sooo want to go to France, mainly for lingerie shopping in Paris as i hear its amazing :)

    Thanks for checking out my blog, i'm now a follower of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've yet to visit Cannes. One day I will make it there.

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. So happy to be introudced to yours. It's lovely! I'm your newest follower :)

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thank you so much for your sweet comments!
    I am glad you found my blog! I am following you now!
    OMG!! These photos are amazing, you are so lucky to see them!! I wish we had something like that here in Houston,but it stays kind of boring around this city!

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by!!
    Love the photos...amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just got back from Avignon - Cannes was merely a hop, skip and a jump away but sadly I didn't have time to visit. I've been wanting to go for so long! Glad you had a good trip x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in the south of France earlier this month! Not as a tourist because I'd been before and because I was staying with a friend but we did make it to St-Tropez and the Brigitte Bardot exhibition there (pics on my blog, if interested)! ps Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and by the way I'm also a city girl :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in Cannes a few years ago and it would have been so nice to see this...lovely!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is great, I wish I was there, too. Thanks for checking my blog.

    I' added you to my google friend list.

    S., http://thehearabouts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such amazing photos. Dying to go to Cannes!

    xx,
    Helena
    www.BrooklynBlonde.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for the lovely comments and welcome to my lovely new followers! :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, it's always lovely to hear from you. If you enjoyed this post, feel free to subscribe to the blog, or share with friends.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License